An extra set of fall recipes for the halloweekends ahead of us!
1. 750ml bottle of spiced rum
2. 1 cup orange juice
3. 1 cup lemon juice
4. 1 cup spiced syrup*
5. ½ cup pumpkin puree
6. 2 ½ cup sparkling water
7. cinnamon sticks (for garnish)
8. dry ice (for decorating, optional)
9. large pumpkin or punchbowl
*for spiced syrup
1. ½ cup demerara sugar
2. ½ cup water
3. 6 whole cloves
4. 6 all spice berries
5. 1 cinnamon stick (broken into pieces)
6. 1 star anise pod
7. 6 white peppercorns
8. ½ nutmeg (cracked)
For spiced syrup
1. Add the spices to a small saucepan over medium heat. Shake the spices back and forth so that they do not burn.
2. As soon as the spices become toasty and aromatic add the water and sugar. Stir continuously to dissolve the sugar. Bring to a simmer and turn the heat to low. Let simmer for 10 minutes, remove from heat, and strain through fine mesh strainer.
3. Cool to room temperature before using.
For the punch
1. In a large bowl, add the spiced rum, orange juice, lemon juice, spiced syrup and pumpkin puree. Stir to combine.
2. Once combined, pour the mixture through a fine mesh strainer into a large pitcher and chill until ready to serve.
3. Meanwhile, place a large bowl into your hallowed pumpkin. Be sure your bowl is safe to handle dry ice. (Metal is good) Next, use tongs to fill the bottom of the bowl with dry ice, and cover with a slightly smaller bowl. This bowl will hold your punch. Again, make sure both bowls are safe for dry ice.
4. Pour the mixture into the punchbowl. Add the sparkling water and sir to combine.
5. Carefully pour hot water into the bottom bowl so that it contacts the dry ice, thus activating the vapors.
6. Guests can ladle the punch into their glasses and garnish with a cinnamon stick. Remember to give it a stir as you serve, as the ingredients will naturally separate over time.
1. 2.5 ounces of black vodka*
2. 3/4 ounces freshly squeezed lime juice 2/3 – 1 small lime
3. 3/4 ounce simple syrup
5. wilton edible pearl dust in white (find at craft store in baking aisle)
Into a cocktail shaker add in your simple syrup, lime juice, and black vodka*. Fill with ice until liquid line. Give it a hard shake for 30 seconds. Add a dash of pearl dust to the bottom of a martini or coupe glass. Pour cocktail into your glass and serve. Add more pearl dust if it’s not shimmery enough and stir it with a bar spoon to combine it.
*to make black vodka: In a separate jar add 1 cup of vodka (plain or flavored) and 4 drops of Wilton Black Icing Color. Stir or shake until fully combined. Keep in an airtight jar in the fridge until use.