ESTABLISHED
1876

The Bremer name has been linked to the retail trade dating back to 1876. In those early days, C.H. Bremer owned and operated a successful market and liquor store in downtown Utica until his passing in 1917. His son, Merritt took ownership becoming the second generation of ownership and continued on until the advent of prohibition.
  • 1933

    When Prohibition was repealed in 1933, Bremer’s was granted to first retail liquor license in Oneida County, issued June 30 th , 1933. From that day forward, Bremer’s has grown to become the premier wine and liquor store in Central, New York.

  • 1959

    Merritt Bremer Sr. died suddenly in 1959 and his son, Bud (Merritt Jr.) bought the store and became the third generation of the Bremer family to operate the business.

  • 1966

    In 1966, Bremer’s Liquors merged with Casey and Keefe (owned by Art Bullock) and became Bremer’s & Bullock’s Wine and Liquor on Oneida Square where it remained until 1999.

  • 1999

    Upon Art’s retirement, Bud’s son, Tim (Merritt III) joined him in running the store and became the fourth generation in the Bremer retail legacy. Seeking more space, parking and consumer traffic, Bud and Tim purchased Heritage Wine and Liquor located on Commerical Drive in New Hartford, New York.

  • 2003

    When the former Dresher’s Furniture building was put up for sale, Tim and Bud quickly made the decision to relocate again in order to keep up with the business’ continued growth. The new 20,000 square foot store (twice the size of the old one) where the store is currently located has allowed Bremer’s to provide their customers with the largest selection of wine and spirits from Albany to Rochester.

  • 2006

    In 2006, Bud was looking to ease into retirement and his youngest son Eric moved back to the area and joined his brother at the head of the store. Since then, with Tim and Eric at the helm, the business has continued to grow, making way for the next generation, and the continuation of the Bremer retail legacy.

Back To Top